Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Shortly afterwards Tiberius was warned by Thrasyllus- whether this was arranged by Sejanus

Shortly afterwards Tiberius was warned by Thrasyllus- whether this was arranged by Sejanus, I do not know-that he would shortly leave the City and that it would be death for him to re-enter it. Tiberius told Sejanus that he would move to Capri and leave him to look after things at Rome. He attended one more treason-trial-that of my cousin Claudia Pulchra, Varus's widow, who, now that Sosia was banished, was Agrippina's most intimate friend. She was charged with adultery, prostituting her daughters, and witchcraft against Tiberius, She was, I think, completely innocent of all these charges. As soon as Agrippina heard about it she hurried to the Palace and by chance found Tiberius sacrificing to Augustus. Almost before the ceremony was over she came close up to him and said:
"Tiberius,fake montblanc pens, this is illogical behaviour. You sacrifice flamingoes and peacocks to Augustus and you persecute his grandchildren."
He said slowly: "I do not understand you. Which grandchildren of Augustus have I persecuted that he did not himself persecute?"
"I am not talking about Fostumus and Julilla. I mean myself. You banished Sosia because she was my friend. You forced Silius to kill himself because he was my friend. And Calpurnius because he was my friend. And now my dear Pulchra is doomed too, though her only crime is her foolish fondness for me. People are beginning to avoid me, saying that I am unlucky."
Tiberius took her by the shoulders and said once more:
And if you are not queen, my dear, Think you that you are wronged?
Pulchra was condemned and executed. The Crown Prosecutor was a man called Afer, engaged because of his eloquence. A few days later Agrippina happened to see him outside the theatre. He appeared ashamed of himself and avoided meeting her eye,Moncler Outlet. She went up to him and said:
"There is no occasion for you to hide from me, Afer." Then she quoted from Homer, but with alterations to suit the context, Achilles's reassuring answer to the embarrassed heralds who came to him with a humiliating message from Agamemnon. She said:
He forced you to it. Though you were well fee'd It was not yours but Agamemnon's deed.
This was reported to Tiberius (though not by Afer); the word "Agamemnon" caused him fresh alarm.
Agrippina fell ill and thought that she was being poisoned. She went in her sedan to the Palace to make a last appeal to Tiberius for mercy. She looked so thin and pale that Tiberius was charmed: perhaps she would die soon. He said: "My poor Agrippina, you look seriously ill. What's wrong with you?"
She answered in a weak voice: "It may be that I have done you a wrong in thinking that you persecute my friends just because they are my friends,Replica Designer Handbags. It may be that I am unlucky in my choice of them, or that my judgment is often at fault. But I swear you have done me equal wrong in thinking that I have the least feeling of disloyalty towards you or that I have any ambition to rule either directly or indirectly,shox torch 2. All that I ask is to be left alone, and your forgiveness for any injuries that I have unintentionally done you, and… and . . -" She ended in sobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment