Wednesday, November 7, 2012

  'Well

  'Well,' I said, 'we needn't discuss what I was or did five yearsago. Whatever I was or did, you escaped,louis vuitton australia. Let's think of thepresent. What are we going to do about this?'
  'You think the situation's embarrassing?'
  'I do.'
  'One of us ought to go, I suppose,' she said doubtfully.
  'Exactly.'
  'Well, I can't go.'
  'Nor can I.'
  'I have business here.'
  'Obviously, so have I.'
  'It's absolutely necessary that I should be here.'
  'And that I should.'
  She considered me for a moment.
  'Mrs Attwell told me that you were one of the assistant-mastersat the school.'
  'I am acting as assistant-master. I am supposed to be learning thebusiness.'
  She hesitated.
  'Why?' she said.
  'Why not?'
  'But--but--you used to be very well off.'
  'I'm better off now. I'm working.'
  She was silent for a moment.
  'Of course it's impossible for you to leave. You couldn't, couldyou?'
  'No.'
  'I can't either.'
  'Then I suppose we must face the embarrassment.'
  'But why must it be embarrassing? You said yourself you had--gotover it.'
  'Absolutely. I am engaged to be married.'
  She gave a little start. She drew a pattern on the gravel with herfoot before she spoke.
  'I congratulate you,' she said at last.
  'Thank you.'
  'I hope you will be very happy,replica mont blanc pens.'
  'I'm sure I shall,fake uggs.'
  She relapsed into silence. It occurred to me that, having postedher thoroughly in my affairs, I was entitled to ask about hers.
  'How in the world did you come to be here?' I said.
  'It's rather a long story. After my husband died--'
  'Oh!' I exclaimed, startled.
  'Yes; he died three years ago.'
  She spoke in a level voice, with a ring of hardness in it, forwhich I was to learn the true reason later. At the time it seemedto me due to resentment at having to speak of the man she hadloved to me, whom she disliked, and my bitterness increased.
  'I have been looking after myself for a long time.'
  'In England?'
  'In America. We went to New York directly we--directly I hadwritten to you. I have been in America ever since. I only returnedto England a few weeks ago.'
  'But what brought you to Sanstead?'
  'Some years ago I got to know Mr Ford, the father of the littleboy who is at the school. He recommended me to Mr Abney, whowanted somebody to help with the school.'
  'And you are dependent on your work? I mean--forgive me if I ampersonal--Mr Sheridan did not--'
  'He left no money at all.'
  'Who was he?' I burst out. I felt that the subject of the dead manwas one which it was painful for her to talk about, at any rate tome; but the Sheridan mystery had vexed me for five years, and Ithirsted to know something of this man who had dynamited my lifewithout ever appearing in it.
  'He was an artist, a friend of my father.'
  I wanted to hear more. I wanted to know what he looked like, howhe spoke,nike shox torch 2, how he compared with me in a thousand ways; but it wasplain that she would not willingly be communicative about him;and, with a feeling of resentment, I gave her her way andsuppressed my curiosity.
  'So your work here is all you have?' I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment