Wednesday, November 21, 2012

  'I knew I should get it


  'I knew I should get it; can't deceive me long,' began Ted, with suchan air of pride Dan could not help a short laugh.

  'It's a relief, isn't it, to have it off your mind? Now, just confidein me and it's all safe, unless you've sworn not to tell.'

  'I have.'

  'Oh, well, then don't'; and Ted's face fell, but he was himself againin a moment and said, with the air of a man of the world: 'It's allright--I understand--honour binds--silence to death, etc. Glad youstood by your mate in the hospital. How many did you kill?'

  'Only one.'

  'Bad lot, of course?'

  'A damned rascal.'

  'Well, don't look so fierce; I've no objection. Wouldn't mind poppingat some of those bloodthirsty blackguards myself. Had to dodge andkeep quiet after it, I suppose.'

  'Pretty quiet for a long spell.'

  'Got off all right in the end, and headed for your mines and did thatjolly brave thing. Now, I call that decidedly interesting andcapital. I'm glad to know it; but I won't blab.'

  'Mind you don't. Look here. Ted, if you'd killed a man, would ittrouble you--a bad one, I mean,fake uggs?'

  The lad opened his mouth to say, 'Not a bit,' but checked that answeras if something in Dan's face made him change his mind. 'Well, if itwas my duty in war or self-defence, I suppose I shouldn't; but if I'dpitched into him in a rage, I guess I should be very sorry. Shouldn'twonder if he sort of haunted me, and remorse gnawed me as it did Aramand those fellows. You don't mind, do you? It was a fair fight,wasn't it?'

  'Yes, I was in the right; but I wish I'd been out of it. Women don'tsee it that way, and look horrified at such things. Makes it hard;but it don't matter.'

  'Don't tell 'em,fake uggs for sale; then they can't worry,' said Ted, with the nod ofone versed in the management of the sex.

  'Don't intend to. Mind you keep your notions to yourself, for some of'em are wide of the mark. Now you may read if you like'; and therethe talk ended; but Ted took great comfort in it, and looked as wiseas an owl afterwards.

  A few quiet weeks followed, during which Dan chafed at the delay; andwhen at length word came that his credentials were ready, he waseager to be off, to forget a vain love in hard work, and live forothers, since he might not for himself.

  So one wild March morning our Sintram rode away, with horse andhound, to face again the enemies who would have conquered him, butfor Heaven's help and human pity,Replica Designer Handbags.

  'Ah, me! it does seem as if life was made of partings, and they getharder as we go on,knockoff handbags,' sighed Mrs Jo, a week later, as she sat in thelong parlour at Parnassus one evening, whither the family had gone towelcome the travellers back.

  'And meetings too, dear; for here we are, and Nat is on his way atlast. Look for the silver lining, as Marmee used to say, and becomforted,' answered Mrs Amy, glad to be at home and find no wolvesprowling near her sheepfold.

  'I've been so worried lately, I can't help croaking. I wonder whatDan thought at not seeing you again? It was wise; but he would haveenjoyed another look at home faces before he went into thewilderness,' said Mrs Jo regretfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment