Sunday, November 4, 2012

  He reached Blackburn's at eight o'clock

  He reached Blackburn's at eight o'clock, and went up to his study tounpack. This was always his first act on coming back to school. Heliked to start the term with all his books in their shelves, and allhis pictures and photographs in their proper places on the first day.
  Some of the studies looked like lumber-rooms till near the end of thefirst week.
  He had filled the shelves, and was arranging the artistic decorations,when Jimmy Silver came in. Kennedy had been surprised that he had notmet him downstairs, but the matron had answered his inquiry with thestatement that he was talking to Mr Blackburn in the other part of thehouse.
  "When did you arrive?" asked Silver, after the conclusion of the firstoutbreak of holiday talk.
  "I've only just come.""Seen Blackburn yet?""No. I was thinking of going up after I had got this place doneproperly."Jimmy Silver ran his eye over the room.
  "I haven't started mine yet," he said. "You're such an energetic man.
  Now, are all those books in their proper places?""Yes," said Kennedy.
  "Sure?""Yes.""How about the pictures? Got them up?""All but this lot here. Shan't be a second. There you are. How's thatfor effect?""Not bad. Got all your photographs in their places?""Yes.""Then," said Jimmy Silver, calmly, "you'd better start now to packthem all up again. And why, my son,fake uggs? Because you are no longer aBlackburnite. That's what."Kennedy stared.
  "I've just had the whole yarn from Blackburn," continued Jimmy Silver.
  "Our dear old pal, Mr Kay, wanting somebody in his house capable ofkeeping order, by way of a change, has gone to the Old Man andborrowed you. So _you're_ head of Kay's now,fake montblanc pens. There's an honourfor you."
Chapter 9 The Sensations Of An Exile
"What" shouted Kennedy.
  He sprang to his feet as if he had had an electric shock.
  Jimmy Silver, having satisfied his passion for the dramatic by theabruptness with which he had exploded his mine, now felt himself atliberty to be sympathetic.
  "It's quite true," he said. "And that's just how I felt when Blackburntold me. Blackburn's as sick as anything. Naturally he doesn't see thepoint of handing you over to Kay. But the Old Man insisted, so hecaved in,fake uggs online store. He wanted to see you as soon as you arrived. You'd better gonow. I'll finish your packing."This was noble of Jimmy, for of all the duties of life he loathedpacking most.
  "Thanks awfully," said Kennedy, "but don't you bother. I'll do it whenI get back. But what's it all about? What made Kay want a man? Whywon't Fenn do? And why me?""Well, it's easy to see why they chose you. They reflected that you'dhad the advantage of being in Blackburn's with me, and seeing how ahouse really should be run. Kay wants a head for his house. Off hegoes to the Old Man. 'Look here,' he says, 'I want somebody shuntedinto my happy home, or it'll bust up. And it's no good trying to putme off with an inferior article, because I won't have it. It must besomebody who's been trained from youth up by Silver.' 'Then,' says theOld Man, reflectively, 'you can't do better than take Kennedy. Ihappen to know that Silver has spent years in showing him the straightand narrow path. You take Kennedy.' 'All right,' says Kay; 'I alwaysthought Kennedy a bit of an ass myself, but if he's studied underSilver he ought to know how to manage a house. I'll take him. Adviseour Mr Blackburn to that effect, and ask him to deliver the goods athis earliest convenience. Adoo, mess-mate, adoo!' And there youare--that's how it was.""But what's wrong with Fenn?""My dear chap! Remember last term. Didn't Fenn have a regular scrapwith Kay, and get shoved into extra for it? And didn't he wreck theconcert in the most sportsmanlike way with that encore of his? Thinkthe Old Man is going to take that grinning? Not much! Fenn made aripping fifty against Kent in the holidays--I saw him do it--but theydon't count that. It's a wonder they didn't ask him to leave. Ofcourse, I think it's jolly rough on Fenn, but I don't see that you canblame them. Not the Old Man, at any rate. He couldn't do anythingelse. It's all Kay's fault that all this has happened, of course. I'mawfully sorry for you having to go into that beastly hole, but fromKay's point of view it's a jolly sound move. You may reform theplace.""I doubt it,knockoff handbags.""So do I--very much. I didn't say you would--I said you might. Iwonder if Kay means to give you a free hand. It all depends on that.""Yes. If he's going to interfere with me as he used to with Fenn,he'll want to bring in another head to improve on me.""Rather a good idea, that," said Jimmy Silver, laughing, as he alwaysdid when any humorous possibilities suggested themselves to him. "Ifhe brings in somebody to improve on you, and then somebody else toimprove on him, and then another chap to improve on him, he ought tohave a decent house in half-a-dozen years or so.""The worst of it is," said Kennedy, "that I've got to go to Kay's as asort of rival to Fenn. I shouldn't mind so much if it wasn't for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment